Good morning everyone,

First, thank you to Lisa for getting this list up and running. Good job! I’m looking forward to seeing who comes aboard.

I’m working on a patent disclosure for a piece of hardware along with the associated software. I’m new to this particular type of deliverable. Does anyone have any advice for me? My understanding is that the patent disclosure gives a patent attorney enough knowledge about the equipment so he or she can write up the patent application. I assuming I don’t need to go into something like this byte moves from this buffer to this UART. I wonder if a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) would give the patent attorney a good understanding of how the thing works. So, my questions are:

What level of detail?

What presentation techniques/tools give the most bang for the buck?

How do you avoid being so specific that a competitor can’t add a little wrinkle and essentially steal your patent? Actually, that’s probably the patent attorney’s job when he writes the claims on the patent.

Thanks for any insights.

Tom Johnson

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Interested in Interactive 3D Documentation? Get the scoop at
http://www.doc-u-motion.com Your 3D Documentation Community.