While waiting tables & attending a two year business college, I got a job at
Georgia
Tech Research Institute (in Huntsville, AL) as a clerk typist. I was there for
about 8
years with several promotions along the way. I moved to Logan, UT, and began
working as an executive assistant to the CEO of a small instrumentation
company. I
did a little of everything, including customer support when no one else was
available,
editing & writing marketing material & manuals when needed, facilities
management,
managing the secretarial staff, writing all the CEO's correspondence, and
generally
keeping him in line ;)

When I got bored about 8 years later, I applied for a job as a tech writer at a
company that developed simulation systems for cranes, semi-trucks, and oil
drilling.
The company was in bankruptcy when I hired on, and 14 months later things still
didn't look good, so I applied for a job as an "applications engineer" at
Campbell
Scientific. They were looking for someone to develop help, write manuals, do
training, and customer support.

I got the job, and 9 years later I am manager of the Software Support Group and
the
marketing Software Product Manager (I've had these managerial responsibilities
only
since February). The SSG is the "go between" for marketing and engineering.
When
new software comes out of engineering we do the alpha/beta testing, and get the
product released. The "regular" AEs do first line technical support, but the
tough
questions get elevated to my group (we're supposed to be "software support" but
 we
get a lot of other issues as well). I have given up almost all of my help
development/manual writing responsibilities, except for the help files for our
datalogger programming language. However, I still do a fair amount of writing
in this
new position.

I *love* my job here. There is always something new to learn, and I'm often one
of
the first ones to get the new "toys" (hardware & software) out of engineering.

On the personal front, my husband and I married a little over two years ago. He
has
full custody of two teenaged boys (15 & 17), and needless to say, that has been
quite
an adjustment ;)  My "baby" is a furry feline named Snoopy, who is going on 14
this
year. For fun, I try to get a little exercise most days and I enjoy hiking,
road biking,
and cross-country skiing on the weekends. I love to read (though I seem to find
less
& less time to do it these days), as well as cook, garden, and do crafty things
such as
stained glass, jewelry making, and sewing (also for which I find less & less
time
these days :(

Dana W.

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager, Marketing
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help 2002-2007

Interested in Interactive 3D Documentation? Get the scoop at
http://www.doc-u-motion.com Your 3D Documentation Community.