Hi, folks:

"Lisa Gielczyk (TCP ADMIN)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi everybody,

> Traffic to the TCP website and membership on the list have increased
> dramatically in the last week or so. Could you let me know where you
> heard
> about TCP? You're welcome to post your answer to the list, or you can
> write
> to me offlist. If you post to the list, why don't you also let us know
> what
> you do in your tech comm career?

About a week ago, in response to a long-running thread on a FrameMaker list
that seemed less about FM, more about technical-writing and
documentation-department issues, I posted this note:

I've been deleting messages on this thread for some time because it's not
relevant to me.

However, you all might find a more engaging community at techcommpros, the
new tech writers listserv, that branched off techwr-l some time ago. Here's
the contact:

followed by a contact to this techcommpros.com list. Honk if you joined this
list because of that post.

I'm now back in Minneapolis, an independent Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in
FrameMaker, Acrobat, and InDesign trainer.

I entered the world of computers when I was a commercial photographer and
got an Osborne 1 (huh?) to "help me run my business and free me for the
creative photography stuff." Right!

The usual "I got hooked" experience led to my teaching introductory
application classes in the Osborne user group, which led to becoming the
first instructor and course developer for the Science Museum of Minnesota's
new business-computer applications classes. I developed classes and taught
them, for all the hot stuff - WordStar, VisiCalc, Lotus 1-2-3, dBASE II, and
stuff like that.

That led to an invitation to join the Ashton-Tate (who?) dBASE II
tech-support team in California, and then take on dBASE III, FrameWork
(*NOT* FrameMaker), dBASE Mac, and FullWrite Professional. (What are these
names?)

I also did testing on the Apple Newton (the Apple what?) If you take a
certain slant on this history, you might think, "Hmmm, he gave the kiss of
death to every major and minor application, and company he touched." DON'T
take that slant<G>! It wasn't MY fault.

That led to becoming a technical writer, and a brief exposure to an early
release of FrameMaker on Macintosh. I found that training and support were
really my strongest interests and my best match, so I returned to training
and became a FrameMaker trainer.

Since1994, I've been doing mostly FrameMaker training, adding Acrobat,
WebWorks Publisher, and InDesign to my repertoire, as they came along. I
worked for a great company, in Mountain View, California - Highland Digital,
which begat Highland Software, which begat HighSoft, Inc., which begat
KnowHow ProServices. Our students and customers were mostly technical
writers at companies like National Semiconductor, Intel, Bay Networks,
NorTel, JDS Uniphase, LSI Logic, PriceCoopersWaterhouse, Apple, Sybase,
Network Appliance, Cisco Systems, Cadence, Oracle, and others.

In 2002, I became independent, and with the company's blessing, got to take
the KnowHow ProServices name.

Currently, I'm writing a book for FrameMaker users who are moving to
InDesign, or thinking about it, which is equally valuable for InDesign Users
who are moving to FrameMaker, or users who want to be bi-applicationists.

Regards,

Peter
Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.