On 3/21/08, Sue Heim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Therein lies the problem... I've seen far too many chapter presidents "do
> it for yourself." The local chapter here has lost members. >Several years
> ago we had over 300 members and used to get something like 60-70 members at
> dinner meetings. Now, there is about >half that number in membership and
> considerably less than half the number attend meetings.

There's nothing wrong with the chapter board wanting to be proud of their
chapter. In addition, the larger a chapter, the more they have the ability
to weather random goofs. Sometimes you pick a program that dispite all good
intentions, falls flat. Size also gives you the ability to take chances. If
you are small, with a small checking account, a loss can be damaging. The
larger you are, the better you are able to recover.

I've been trying alot of things...some are success and some failure.
However, in EVERY effort, my mantra has been that anything we do is in the
members best interest. For instance. The society is offering four free
conference registrations for the chapter in each category who can get the
highest percentage of renewals. We happen to be in second place in the
second to largest category. If we win? The four packages get raffled to the
membership, and most don't even knowit yet, even though I had to get my
company to allow me to expense part of the trip, the chaptrer part, and me
part (BTW, our chapter last year paid the whole thing for the Pres, but if I
can take part of the load off the chaprter, more left over for the
membership). We could have applied it to the board, but I thought my
membership woulod appreciate it.

However, a chapter is handcuffed from trying new things when they don't see
the support from the people they are trying to serve, and the best indicaror
is membership.

 > If you could join locally withoiut having to join the national
organization, I'd reconsider.

BTW...there is nothing from stopping a chapter from doing that and we are
considering it starting next Sept.

John Posada
NYMetroSTC President

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.