I had a dismal week last week. We missed deadlines because of the
headaches with our DSL service interruptions. I couldn't transmit any
proofs or files over the internet. The stress level was a solid 8 to a
soft 9 on a 10 point scale.

After spending hours on the phone with tech support, first in India
followed by Texas, then in Mexico followed by Texas, the problem was
identified.

We receive regular phone calls from telephone solicitors contracted to
AT&T. I have asked repeated that they stop calling, but businesses
don't have the same rights as homeowners to be put on a do-not-call
list. A few weeks ago the telemarketer offered to upgrade my DSL
service from the "professional" package to the "elite" package at no
additional charge. I said yes.

But, this was one of those "if it sounds too good to be true stories."
Apparently your location has to be within 4,000-8,000 feet from the
distribution point for the "elite" service speeds to be maintained. We
are about 10,000 feet from the distribution point and the line cannot
maintain the speed necessary to keep our service active at the level
the modem needs to keep us connected.

After a great deal of technical discussion above my very basic level of
telecommunications comprehension, I was really glad to have the service
restored to the "professional" level.

There seems to be a HUGE training gap in AT&T's sales operation. The
error in placing my service should never have occurred. I hope that by
sharing this experience that other SIG members can avoid the problem I
experienced. I know that many of you telecommute and are subject to the
limitations of your internet connection.

When you have a problem with AT&T start a log file an record the names
and amount of time your call lasts from the first voicemail prompt try
these steps:

1. Identify where the online service technical support is physically
located.
2. You will be lead through a series of scripted prompts. Perform the
actions only one time. It is not you job to identify their technical
issues.
2. If they are at an offshore site firmly ask to be transferred to
Texas. You will be transferred to another "supervisor" at the offshore
site.
3. Repeat your request to speak to someone in Texas. Continue to
request a transfer to Texas until the supervisor complies with your
request.

I have a log that goes back to 2004. I log the call ticket numbers. The
numbers won't mean anything to the Bangalore and Mexico City technical
support operators, but they will be helpful when you talk to Texas.

Best Wishes,

Teresa Trujillo
Book Workshop/Mighty Designs
1501 E. Orangethorpe Avenue
Suite 130
Fullerton, California 92831
Phone (714) 525-0882
Fax (714) 879-7156
Cell (714) 926-8343

Teresa Trujillo
Book Workshop/Mighty Designs
1501 E. Orangethorpe Avenue
Suite 130
Fullerton, California 92831
Phone (714) 525-0882
Fax (714) 879-7156
Cell (714) 926-8343

-

ComponentOne® Doc-To-Help® 2008 delivers streamlined authoring
features, including new end-user features, all within the brand new Microsoft
Office 2007 style interface. Download your FREE trial!
http://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/