For years, I had done a graphic-heavy QuickStart Guide in FrameMaker
(7.1), then published to PDF (Acrobat 7).

This time, I revised and reworked in a new format (booklet), using
OpenOffice 3 Writer, and publishing through Acrobat 9.
In fact, I just created a book in OOo, then used Acrobat 9's Booklet
printing feature.

I normally print to a file and invoke Distiller.

Most of the graphic elements are the one's I'd been using, but now they
all appear coarsely pixellated in PDF and printout. An off-white
background, for example will consist of several large-ish stepped areas
of pale grey. Lines in drawings are surrounded by fuzz.

Graphics are about evenly divided between PNG and JPG.

Should I be looking first for something in my print settings from OOo,
or something in Distiller, or ?

I did have to resize most images to fit the new format, but that was
true in the FM days, too.
The difference is that when importing graphics into FM, I mostly kept
re-importing at different sizes until I hit a number that I didn't need
to further resize in-situ (by dragging). In OOo, they come in at
whatever their large size, and I drag handles to shrink them to fit.

The appearance is not acceptable for publication. Where to start
looking?

Thanks,

 - Kevin

or disclosing it.

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/