Hi all,

Have been fairly inactive for awhile, but now getting back in the swing of
things. So I decided to take a shot at this one, before I read anyone else's

To me, your example looks awkward, even incorrect. And, according to that
old stand-by, the Chicago Manual of Style, if the dependent clause (in this
case, beginning with the word "if") is restrictive-that is, it cannot be
deleted without altering the meaning of the sentence-then a comma is not
required. If the dependent clause is nonrestrictive, meaning it *can* be
deleted without significantly altering the meaning of the statement, then it
is required. In this case, that would mean that the comma is not required or
expected.

In any case, I would counsel against constructing a statement, such as the
one you provided as an example, with the dependent clause at the end. I very
strongly feel that conditional statements should always, always, ALWAYS
place the condition *before* the action. Otherwise, the careless user (and
there are a LOT of them out there) will typically perform the action and
*then* read the condition and then go "Oops!" (or worse). So, I would never
write a statement for users like the one you provide as an example. FWIW...

Now I'll go read what others have opined.

Hope this helps,
Chuck Beck
www.swan-cross.com