Hi everyone,

I've been sitting here for the better part of the afternoon googling for
concepts from my old days of working in a print shop. I'm not having much luck
because 20 or so years have passed since I worked there, and the terms are
foggy, although the concepts are still in the back of my brain.

Here's the situation. Our manufacturing was moved to China, so our few printed
quick reference guides are now printed there, too. We got a check copy today
where our normally 100% black logo was, at best, about 75-80% black. To me, it
looked gray, not black. I'm drawing a blank on how to tell them in the future
(without using a lot of words) that the black needs to be darker. Whenever we
try to convey something to them, we find it best to use a graphic with a small
amount of text. I would like to include a graphic in our print specifications
document that shows a scale of black from 0 to 100%. Then we can specify that
anything below a certain percentage is not acceptable. This page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayscale) has a scale off to the right, but it's
not something that I can select and save. I remember measuring the level of
black on printed copies in the past, or at least comparing the black against a
chart of some kind, but the specifics are eluding me. I know that I have, in
years past, rejected things when the black wasn't dark enough and could tell
them exactly why.

Can anyone point me at anything on the web or at least jolt my brain to remind
me of what terms I could search for? I've been working with the terms gray
scale, print saturation, print density, and a few others, but I'm not finding
much that will help.

Thanks,
Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review,
use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/