On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:27:41 -0700
Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:

[...]
> Should we also consider removing support for some older UN*X
> platforms, such as:
>
>       SunOS prior to SunOS 4 - pcap-nit.c; the last such version,
> SunOS 3.5, was released in January 1988
>
>       SunOS 4.x - pcap-snit.c; the last such version, SunOS 4.1.5,
> was released in November 1994
>
>       HP-UX 9 - some code in pcap-dlpi.c;  the last such version,
> 9.10, was released in early-to-mid 1995
>
>       HP-UX 10 prior to 10.20 - some code in pcap-dlpi.c; - the
> only such version, 10.0, was released in 1995
>
>       SINIX - some code in pcap-dlpi.c; - the last release, Reliant
> UNIX 5.45, was released some time in the early 2000s (?)
>
>       IRIX - pcap-snoop.c; - the last update was released some time
> in the mid-to-late 2000s (?)
>
>       DEC OSF/1^W^WDigital UNIX^WTru64 UNIX - pcap-pf.c; the last
> release, Tru64 UNIX 5.1B-6, was released in October 2010
[...]

For posterity, the master branches no longer support the above OSes
even nominally.  Occasional dead-like code still surfaces, for example,
libpcap still uses a small buffer size on AIX to work around a problem
in AIX 3.5 (not in Wikipedia, supposedly dates to 1993-1994) and uses
conditionals for LynxOS, with which it has had no contact for good 10
years (if anyone knows that's not the case, please provide particulars).
I guess most of such artefacts eventually will be gone too.

In tcpdump README.md now includes a more or less complete list of
retired OSes, please improve what you find in need of improvement.

--
    Denis Ovsienko