On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 02:40:31PM +0200, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> So do we want to keep the existing requirement of being able to execute
> a thread on a CPU that has been removed from the scheduler?  That's is
> what smr_flush() currently needs.  I find it surprising but I can add
> that as a requirement for the upcoming scheduler.  I don't know if other
> options are possible or even attractive.

I think it is useful that the kernel can force a thread to run on
a specific CPU even when general scheduling has been stopped. It is
maybe a bit crude, but nonetheless effective and machine independent,
way of synchronization.

The kernel has a few current uses of sched_peg_curproc(). Perhaps
the most prominent ones are interrupt barriers and the SMR grace wait
mechanism.