On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Tim Flink wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:10:27 -0700
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <c...@omen.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> It is my understanding that the majority of desktop machines run
>> Nvidia or ATI graphics cards.
>> It is a fact of life that Gnome 3 in its present incarnation will not
>> function on these machines;
>> it will fall back to a brain damaged afterthought GUI.
>
> I'm running F16 with gnome-shell on an old i386 P4 machine and an nvidia
> 6200 AGP. It's a little on the sluggish side but otherwise works
> fine with the default drivers. Last time I tried it, gnome-shell ran
> fine on my newer nvidia card (gt265, I think) with nouveau as well.

After a latest mesa update I have also nouveau working OK with my nvidia
7500. Just a full screen video is under gnome-shell choppy at 1920x1200
wich was not the case with proprietary nvidia and is better without G3.
With nvidia driver gnome-shell does not work for me at all. Just to make
sure offering by default proprietary driver will not always help.

> Nouveau works in general but I suppose that depends on which adapter
> you're using. I don't expect it to have the same 3D capabilities as the
> proprietary nvidia blob drivers but it does work well enough for my
> normal use. I can't speak for AMD/ATI cards, though as I don't have any
> running linux ATM.

Also ATI is working well (HD2400) with radeon driver. Actually better than
nouveau was.

> Tim

Adam Pribyl