On 27/09/13 19:02, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 16:23 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
On 26/09/13 15:53, Samuel Sieb wrote:

On 09/25/2013 06:13 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
My concern is wether this procedure results in a kernel that is
less optimized for the CPU it is running on than if Fedora had
been installed directly on that machine.

I don't know enough about Fedora installation to know what,
if any, processor related optimizations are made in the install
instead of boot time.

I don't think it makes any difference now.  Years ago (not sure how
many), there was both the 386 and 686 kernels and that was decided
by the installer.  Now, the only possible difference if you aren't
installing 64-bit is whether you get the PAE kernel or not.  And I
don't know how that's decided or even if there is a choice.
There also used to be a distinction between kernels compiled for a
single core processor and ones for a machine with multiple cores -
though at that time (AFAIR) CPU chips normally had only one core, so
we are talking about motherboards with slots for 2 or more CPU chips.
Also, I think they were all 32 bit, at least the ones I might be able
to afford....
That hasn't been the case for rather a long time.
I've been around a long time... :-)

The second computer I programmed (using FORTRAN IV) was an IBM 1130.