On 05/11/2016 11:41 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:26:41PM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
On Qua, 2016-05-11 at 09:13 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 05/11/2016 08:01 AM, Peter G. wrote:

How do you type the Greek beta
from the keyboard (I use US dead keys—always and exclusively)?

One way is C-S-u 0 3 b 2 Space

what you mean by C-S-u ? can't figure out

ctrl-shift-u followed by a zero, a 3, a b, a 2, and a space.

For those that remember entering decimal ascii codes on the number pad in Windows, this is the new and improved version of that. Ctrl-Shift-u switches to Unicode entry mode where you can enter the hex code of a Unicode character. You don't need the leading zero. Pressing enter or space completes it or ESC cancels it. I don't know which software level handles it, maybe it's a GTK thing. You can look up the hex codes using the Character Map application.