>When the UPS says the battery is exhausted, must shutdown now, it's more
>than just an aggravation.

It should not be.  Worst case should be similar to abrupt power failure.
(Real case: I pull the wrong plug out of my power strip, disconnecting my
server instead of the device I intended to move.)  Reboot the server, it
recovers filesystems from their journals in a few seconds, and life is
good again.

If this does not work, then there are more serious problems than
time-outs during shutdown, and these problems may indeed be blocker
candidates.

Your UPS should be able to give an earlier warning than "Battery is
exhausted." but there is no completely adequate advance warning.

For critical activities, one provides a UPS that can say "Power remains
for N seconds." where N is sufficient for application-specific shutdown
(not system shutdown, though that may also occur).  Even this is not
proof against catastrophe and user error, but greater durability requires
mutiple systems, automatic fall-back, and more exotic strategies.

Personally, I should be very happy to have faster shutdown and boot
times.  I just feel these are quality, not blocker issues.