On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:04:36AM -0500, David wrote:
> or are the current Beta versions just "test-Betas" ??  or "rc-Betas"  for
> in-house use only ?

It is released. You should see an official email on the announcements list:

 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/annou...@lists.fedoraproject.org/

and a post on Fedora Magazine:

 https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-the-release-of-fedora-34-beta/

> Seems confusing.   Why not do an public Alpha release, or at least a quite
> Alpha release ?

I'm not sure how this would reduce confusion.

In the past, we did Alpha releases, but we generally found that the usage of
them was quite low compared to the amount of effort it takes to produce and
test them as release artifacts. Instead, we decided to put efforts towards
making Rawhide continuously be at the quality level we previously expected
for Alpha releases.

> Linux users who have never used Fedora or have little experience with
> Fedora need a better explanation as to what is so exciting about the 34
> release.  Phoronix is only covering the highlights, but a few YouTubers are
> explaining it, but they only do it in a virtual-machine for a very brief
> install review.

This really gets out of the scope of testing and into Mindshare, so I've
CC'd that list.

In addition to the Beta announcement, we also run Magazine articles like
https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-34-feature-focus-updated-activities-overview/,
More would always be welcome, of course.

> In my opinion, a good review would be to install on hardware and show
> actual real-world work being done with Fedora 34, such as a drawing in
> FreeCAD, and how the system differs from Manjaro Gnome 40, Gnome OS, Ubuntu
> 20.10, etc.

Yes, that would be great. I don't think we're going to do a comparative
review as an official Fedora Project release — better to stand on our own
merits and let others do the comparing — but I do always love to see videos
and articles like this (at least, when some thought has been put into it
rather than just being a listicle).

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>