Hi guys,
This is for the ASF-savvy in the crowd. Feedback from mentors would be
much appreciated.

We're close to release. Really very close. We're down to one new
blocker today, and as far as I can tell all that's left is procedural.
The issue is that I'm having trouble navigating the procedure. I've
started a ticket to track these things here[1].

The incubator checklist[2] seems to largely involve distributing
releases, not the process an incubating project needs to go through in
order to release.

In addition, the incubator release management guide[3] says (in the
Organization section):

"This document is descriptive not normative. It describes best
practices. Policy is defined elsewhere. Podlings are free to accept or
reject any of the recommendations. Enquiries may be expected about
novel or unusual practices. Best practice evolves. New ideas may be
patched in."

But seeing as we haven't had a release before, I think we might need a
little hand holding until we know what we're doing.

It's unclear to me whether we need a legal audit or not. I was under
the impression that a this point all code has been accounted for, and
either comes from JIRA or an ICLA/CCLA contributor, but I can't seem
to find a ticket or mailing list posting to back that up.

There's a reference in the incubator release guide to a "STATUS"
document, which needs to be up to date, but the section appears to be
largely incomplete:

" STATUS document

TODO: check this TODO: the STATUS document should be checked to ensure
that it is up to date before release. Incubator releases should do a
legal audit before releasing. The legal STATUS of the code base should
be clean before it is released."

Could someone clarify? Are there documents that are completed?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-439
[2]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
[3]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.htm

--