On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At Apache we do our work where it can be inspected by
> the public while it is in progress.  That work, carried
> out in the subversion repository, is not to be publicized
> to end users as a place to pick up the latest and greatest
> distribution of our software.  End users ALWAYS need to
> be directed to formally approved releases.  Not only does
> that give the project space to do active development on
> branches / trunk that hasn't been put to a vote yet, it
> means that users have clear guidelines where the project
> is willing to extend whatever stability promises it wishes
> to make to it's users.
>
> The foundation does not consider subversion as a valid
> distribution mechanism for software releases.  In fact
> we don't expect software in subversion to be vetted for
> licensing issues until it comes time for a release, so
> please do not point end users to svn!

I'm glad you have a way you like to do things "at Apache". But we're
not children and we don't owe you anything. When you treat us like
this you discourage involvement and drive people away from the Apache
process.

I'm sure people are perfectly willing to direct others that subversion
revisions aren't releases, so don't be an jerk about it.

I'm

--
Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us