From: Jeff Breidenbach <breidenb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 4, 2022 7:12 PM
To: Kurt Schwehr <schw...@gmail.com>
Cc: Ellen Johnson <ell...@mathworks.com>; tiff@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Tiff] clarification on the fix status for new CVE-2022-3570?

And thank you, Kurt.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 4:10 PM Kurt Schwehr
<schw...@gmail.com<mailto:schw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Ellen,

A side note:  (I'm pretty sure I've shared this in the past, but I can't
remember where)

I use libtiff from head for Google.  That way...

- can report any troubles right away back to the maintainers and reports and
patches are easier
- usually ahead of the CVE game.  CVEs have not been helpful to me
- There are enough tests in our system that each update does a pretty good job
of exercising libtiff.  While MatLab isn't the size of google3, it's probably
big enough to have good confidence in deploying tiff from head.
- I have a pretty large fuzzer generated corpus that gets checked daily in asan
and msan mode.  It's not hard to make your own corpus e.g.
gtiff_fuzzer.cc<https://github.com/schwehr/gdal-autotest2/blob/master/cpp/frmts/gtiff/gtiff_fuzzer.cc>
 which is apache 2.0 licensed and the fuzzers in the gdal code base.
- never have to ask for a point releases

As always, thanks to everyone who contributes to libtiff!

-kurt

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 2:12 PM Ellen Johnson