I found some information after a lot of googling!  I now have some sample
data that makes sense.

Quick summary: Using data from the definition to the A302 TIFF Tag:

The value consists of:

- Two short, being the grid width and height of the repeated pattern.

- Next, for every pixel in that pattern, an identification code.

This identification code can be:

0 = Red

1 = Green

2 = Blue

3 = Cyan

4 = Magenta

5 = Yellow

6 = White

and now looking at some data extracted from some TIFF files:

TIFF Tag(33421) 0x828d Type(3) ushort(2) ISO CFARepeatPattern: 2 2

TIFF Tag(33422) 0x828e Type(1) ubyte(4) ISO CFAPattern: 0x00010102

EXIF Tag(41730) 0xa302 Type(7) undef(8) CFAPattern: 0x0002000200010102

It all begins to make sense.

Thanks

David