Regarding archive search: I remember enabling this a few years ago for this list, ah I see it must have been back in 2021: https://www.mail-archive.com/tiff@lists.osgeo.org/maillist.html

So it doesn't go back to your 1993 archives, but, at least it gives users a way to search a few years...

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, & offering MapServer Consulting/Dev
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On 2024-04-24 5:17 p.m., Joris Van Damme (AWare Systems) via Tiff wrote:
Hello,

I would like to discuss https://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff.html
and everything on there.

At this point, I feel the humble and inefficient way I manage and
publish some data is not sustainable. On the one hand, I'm unable to
properly maintain things as I'm not even home on a regular basis, and
on the other hand for proper function of things I do think you all
need at least some proper way to access a record of this data, and
when it comes to the mailing list, preferably a real-time one.

Some people on this list have expressed some interest in the data, in
the recent past. However, discussing it further, there always seem to
be a few major roadblocks.

- all of it is in a proprietary format, defined only by my own code
- a mailing list archive of 1870, so to speak, is cute and all, but is
it useful? also, I should mention not all of it is very properly
formatted (some periods are, some aren't)
- much of the tag data, is just... inspired deeply... by
specifications, as in my mind it should be, because mostly that is the
correct information to put out there. but there is this small issue of
the real world of copy... whatever. I really don't care much, but few
people approach it that way.

Are there any thoughts on this? I just updated the mailing list
archive. In an ideal world, instead of update things in the same
clumsy way again in six weeks time when I'm home again, I'd like to
just close down the above mentioned at that point. If there's some
perceived need to preserve some of the data in some way, I can put in
some final effort to export in some way if it's not too much of a
hurdle.

Joris