Xing,
  Try the following:
   program 1 mote with ID ,1 another with ID 2, and then your base mote, with
ID 0.  (Make sure all 3 motes, are all programmed with Surge_Reliable).  Turn
them on, and start the surge GUI (java net.tinyos.surge.MainClass <group ID>)
The serial forwarder must be running first.
Also make sure that your make file sets the correct group ID, and operating
freq.

Josh