You can think of squelch as earplugs for the radio.  If you put earplugs in your ears, you're only going to be able to hear things that are fairly loud and/or fairly close to you.  The bigger the earplug, the louder the sound must be for you to hear it.  So, raising the squelch value on the radio tells the radio that it should only pay attention to stronger signals, and lowering it means that it should accept smaller signals.  The point of doing this is to both avoid wasting time trying to accept signals which are so small that you can't reliably recieve them, and to avoid recieving transmissions from far-away transmitters when you can hear a good signal close-by.

      - Conor