> Of course this is possible in theory, there are no standards police, but
> this argument overlooks the gargantuan technical and economic costs of
> deploying this kind of private extension. You'd need to convince a diverse
> population of implementers on both the client and server side to adopt and
> enable your thing.

I don't believe my hypothetical private extension would need to be adopted
by any servers, just clients. And due to power laws, adoption by one or two
clients would provide visibility into a substantial section of Internet
traffic.

Can you expand on how this draft enables the more rapid distrust of failed
> CAs?

 This is described in more detail in section 9.1 of the draft. Currently we
have the problem that, as long as any older RP relies on a given root,
subscribers have to keep using it, which means newer RPs have to keep
trusting it.

I'm confused by this remark. Are there clients which would tolerate a
> certificate if only it had a longer lifetime? Is there any circumstance in
> which you would have both a long-life and short-life certificate available,
> and you would prefer to serve the long-life cert?

 Yes, especially when you push to shorter and shorter lifetimes (say, 1
day, 1 hour), you start to have the issue that not all clients will have
sufficiently accurate clocks to verify them. Clients with accurate clocks
can advertise support for a root that issues short-lived certs while
clients that don't will not advertise support for this root, and with TE we
can support both.