On Feb 15, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Rick Macdougall wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, if you are not using the :attach in simcontrol, do NOT enable rip mime in simscan as that will cause clamdscan to basically scan the message and the attachment twice.

Clamav does a very good job of scanning encoded content and attachments all by itself. No need to duplicate effort.

I recently took a look at ripmime to see if it had a setting that would simply dump the attachment filenames without actually creating the attachments. It, unfortunately, does not. I haven't looked at the source to see if it would be possible to build a modified version to accomplish my goals or not.

I guess I could modify my simscan to run ripmime, look at the attachment filenames, and then delete them all before calling clamav. OR, I could simply pass the message file to clamav instead of having it scan the entire directory.

In the case of large attachments, it's a big waste of CPU cycles to scan the entire message twice. I might just skip attachment blocking at this point, and hope that clamav will catch all of the scr and pif crap.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vpopmail - virtual domains for qmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/