In a win32 environment, Tomcat as a command line instance get's it's classpath info from startup.bat and tomcat.bat.  If you installed it as a service, it would get it from wrapper.properties.

I don't believe you'd get a performance increase by trimming it down in the manner you suggest.  Using Apache integration soluiton might improve your performance if you are serving static pages.  This will allow Tomcat to process the JSP, etc. and Apache will act as the web server.