You can setup a custom login screen and set it up in the tomcat. I am doing
it. and you can access the username and password from session variables
j_username and j_password. also you can access requested link from session.

     <login-config>
                <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
                <form-login-config>
                      <form-login-page>/LogIn</form-login-page>
                     <form-error-page>/LogIn</form-error-page>
              </form-login-config>
 </login-config>

I like the tomcat login module because it is transparent. I guess you check
the role, roleGroup and set response.sendError(401,..) to redirect user back
to login page if he/she does not have enough previlages.

did I miss anything here??

anil