Hello Peter,
I have noticed the difference in speed you talk about when I use the
mod_jk.so
apache module (not stand alone mode):
the first time I load the page is a bit slower than the next times.

But when I use tomcat as a stand alone server, it is very very slow
(order of
minute...)
I don't think that's my hardware (P3 933MHz) or JDK 1.1.8 on suse 7.0.

Yes you are right i the standalone config, after a shutdown.sh
a 'ps' command shows that the tomcat service is still running.

Alex