If could be made to handle cgi perl, but you would have to write it yourself
- you would create a servlet that executes the perl file.  The catch is that
you would have to set up the shell environment according to the CGI spec
(sending POST to stdin and GET paremeters to environement variables, I
believe).

ASP is not builtin, but there is nothing that says you can't write something
to convert ASP to JSP.  Sun and Oracle have announced a product about it,
but I don't know any more than that.

> 2. ApJServDefaultPort 8007, does ApJServ have to be started
> even in stand alone
> mode? (I read that it is always required, and 8080 http port
> is optional.  I do
> have a .jsp file, so I guess it is essential to have ApJServ
> running????)
AJP12 is the default manner to shutdown Tomcat.  It runs on port 8007 and is
only really necessary if you want to cleanly shutdown Tomcat.  If you are
comfortable using Unix's kill or NT's Task Manager to end processes, you
don't really need it.

> 3. I am running this on UNIX box (Solaris 2.7), and does
> environment variables
> get passed to JVM when I start the tomcat server with
> startup.sh command?
No.  Java doesn't provide any mechanism to read environment variables from
within a program and the startup scripts don't support this.  One thing you
could do is to iterate through the list of environment variables and create
-Dxxx=yyy statements as part of the TOMCAT_OPTS.  You would probably need to
be careful, though, since this could very easily get very long and contain
things you might not want Tomcat to know about.