If your servlet has changed and needs to be recompiled, then using
jikes instead of javac will save a lot of time.

Friday, July 06, 2001, 5:01:37 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

ps> Greetings,

ps> why is that my servlet when the first time is invoked, it takes about 30
ps> seconds or more to start when the servlets that came in tomcat are
ps> instantaneous? After the servlet container instantiated and initialized my
ps> servlet, all the following requests are very fast. Is there any advice for
ps> what we should do and don't do in init() method? I just initialize some
ps> properties and a connection pool....
ps> Well is it possible that my servlet container at any time my may shutdown my
ps> servlet to release memory, and another time it will be requested to start
ps> again and take another time too long to start, correct?

ps> How can I benchmark the time of instantiation of my servlet and the time of
ps> my init method?

ps> System configuration:
ps> -Tomcat 3.2.1
ps> -JDK 1.3