* Craig R. McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020108 18:51]:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Jonathan C. Detert wrote:

-- snip --

> > The sole purpose of the apache server in question is to serve user directories
> > (i.e. using the UserDir directive from the mod_userdir module).
> >
> > I want to enable each user to create his own JSP's and servlets.
> >
> > So, my question is, what's the best way to do this?

-- snip --

> > E.g. I'd like to tell apache that a request like
> > http://my.apacheserver.name/~detertj/myexamples/servlet/HelloWorld
> > is to be handed off to tomcat, and then, of course, I'd like tomcat to
> > know where this is (cuz it's not gonna be in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps) ?
> >

> You've got two choices:

-- snip --

> (2) If you use Tomcat stand-alone, you can use the "User Home Directories"
> feature to serve files from each user's directory, in the same way that
> Apache does it.  For example, I can make the following URL:
>
>   http://localhost:8080/~craigmcc/
>
> resolve to the "public_html" directory in my home directory
> (/home/craigmcc on my Linux box), without having to configure them all
> individually.  This directory is treated like any other webapp directory,
> so it can contain a WEB-INF subdirectory with a web.xml file, and so on.
>
> For more info, see the "Host" page in:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/

I like this choice.  I followed the directions in the above URL, and
restarted tomcat.  However, I get tomcat's 404 error when i try to
access something like http://my.server.name:8080/~detertj/ or anything
underneath it.  Tomcat's logs reveal nothing more than that.

Precisely, here's what i did:
in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml, inside the "localhost" <Host>
container, inside the "Standalone" <Engine> container, inside the
"Tomcat-Standalone" <Service> containter, I added this tag:

        <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
                  directoryName="www"
                  userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.PasswdUserDatabase"/>

I also tried specifying the homebase like so :

        <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
                  directoryName="www"
                  homeBase="/home/staff"
                  userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>

Neither way worked.  The server is an NIS client, and so the /etc/passwd
file (normally) has no information about 'detertj' in it.  To test whether
that was the problem, i added a full record in /etc/passwd for 'detertj',
but it didn't help.

Any ideas what i did wrong?  Or, any ideas what else to look for or
test?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE,

Jon