Forgive me for jumping in on this thread mid-way...

Keep in mind that 'top' is not the most accurate tool in the world.

As well as the way some unixs handle swap space.  Solaris, for example,
handles swap space like airlines sell tickets on planes.  They overbook
it.  So it might allocate the space but it won't ever use it.

Usually you don't want your java to swap at all.  It really slows you
down.

-e