Howdy,
If you're just starting out with servlets/JSPs/webapps, follow the app
developer's guide instead of forming bad habits ;)  It's here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

Don't worry about Apache front-end and JK or other connectors for now.  Just
develop, deploy, test on tomcat-standalone first.  You'll likely find that the
performance, including for static resources, is sufficient for your needs.

Yoav Shapira

=====
Yoav Shapira
[EMAIL PROTECTED]