I can confirm too that the issue is probably something to do with the
swap usage.

My first guess was that the problem has something to do with the
system's update, but seems that real cause is the swap usage. The
shutdown usually goes fine when the system is used only for a short time
and fails after a couple of hours of usage, when the system accumulates
some data in the swap.

I did today some test and I got the following result:
~10 hours uptime (idle), 45 MB swap usage - the showdown went fine
~50 min uptime, 2.2 GB swap usage - the showdown hangs

  reboot hangs at 'Reached target Shutdown'

Status in systemd:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I rebooted my 15.04 system, and found it hanging indefinitely at the
  plymouth shutdown screen.  Hitting esc to reveal the console showed a
  normal set of shutdown messages, ending with 'Reached target Shutdown'
  (paraphrased from memory).

  The system never rebooted on its own.  I had to use SysRq to finish
  the shutdown.

  Package: systemd 219-7ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jun 13 11:53:10 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20100816.1)
  MachineType: LENOVO 2306CTO
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.19.0-20-generic
root=/dev/mapper/hostname-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2014-12-06 (189 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 10/25/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: G2ET97WW (2.57 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrG2ET97WW(2.57):bd10/25/2013:svnLENOVO:pn2306CTO:pvrThinkPadX230:rvnLENOVO:rn2306CTO:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X230
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO