This still happens in 16.04 LST! As it was described several times above
the shutdown process somehow blocks/gets in a deadlock when un-mounting
the swap partitions. I did not understood exactly what happens but the
recovery console clearly shows that the swap space is still on and
vailable and there are four .swap jobs "running" (although I have a
single swap partition).

PS: The "Fix Released" status suggest for me that some work was done to
fix this issue, which supposes that the issue was clearly understood.
This is obiviously not the case here.

** Attachment added: "jobs.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1464917/+attachment/4649397/+files/jobs.txt

  reboot hangs at 'Reached target Shutdown'

Status in systemd:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  This bug is resolved.  Do not follow up to this bug.  Shutdown bugs
  are specific to the software installed and its configuration.  If you
  are experiencing a shutdown hang, please file a separate bug report
  and follow the debugging instructions described in the "Debugging
  boot/shutdown problems" section of
  /usr/share/doc/systemd/README.Debian.gz to check if there are any
  hanging jobs at shutdown. Capturing a screen photo of "journalctl -b"
  in the rescue shell might be enlightening.

  [Original report]
  I rebooted my 15.04 system, and found it hanging indefinitely at the plymouth
shutdown screen.  Hitting esc to reveal the console showed a normal set of
shutdown messages, ending with 'Reached target Shutdown' (paraphrased from
memory).

  The system never rebooted on its own.  I had to use SysRq to finish
  the shutdown.

  Package: systemd 219-7ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jun 13 11:53:10 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20100816.1)
  MachineType: LENOVO 2306CTO
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.19.0-20-generic
root=/dev/mapper/hostname-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2014-12-06 (189 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 10/25/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: G2ET97WW (2.57 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrG2ET97WW(2.57):bd10/25/2013:svnLENOVO:pn2306CTO:pvrThinkPadX230:rvnLENOVO:rn2306CTO:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X230
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO