Hi Ian,

I've just launched such a container and I see a bunch of non-cloud-init
errors in the log and when I examine `systemctl list-jobs`, I see that
the two running jobs are systemd-logind.service and
snapd.seeded.service:

root@certain-cod:~# systemctl list-jobs
JOB UNIT                                 TYPE  STATE
114 cloud-final.service                  start waiting
125 snapd.autoimport.service             start waiting
143 systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service start waiting
116 cloud-config.service                 start waiting
1   graphical.target                     start waiting
691 systemd-logind.service               start running
99  unattended-upgrades.service          start waiting
110 cloud-init.target                    start waiting
115 snapd.seeded.service                 start running
2   multi-user.target                    start waiting

10 jobs listed.

Examining the journal, I see that systemd-logind.service is in a restart
loop:

root@certain-cod:~# journalctl -u systemd-logind.service | grep Failed\ w
Dec 01 22:37:43 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:39:13 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:40:44 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:42:14 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:43:44 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:45:14 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:46:45 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:48:15 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.
Dec 01 22:49:45 certain-cod systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: Failed with
result 'timeout'.

This is blocking boot before cloud-init's later stages run, so as it is
correctly indicating that it hasn't yet completed, I'm marking this
Invalid for cloud-init.  I'll add a systemd task instead, as that looks
to be the source of the issue.

Cheers,

Dan

** Changed in: cloud-init

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  cloud-init status --wait hangs indefinitely in a nested lxd container

Status in cloud-init:
  Invalid
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  When booting a nested lxd container inside another lxd container (just
  a normal container, not a VM) (i.e. just L2), using cloud-init -status
  --wait, the "." is just printed off infinitely and never returns.