Further potentially useful information about the behavior after PPA
install:  If you remove a device via the ui, it leaves a ghosted version
that may or may not be able to reconnect if the device tries to.  You
must remove this ghosted device (two removes in total) and then it
appears to allow a fresh pair that works perfectly.  No actual need to
restart bluetooth.  I tried raspberry pi os (debian port) and this mouse
works perfectly and is very snappy / perfect in bluetooth mode, just
like with the USB receiver.  No amount of hcitool and other tricks
(kernel min interval changes) for mouse speed really resolve the issue
(nor did it tend to accept the changes I tried).  To me, it feels that
the poll speed is too high as it does the thing that a usb mouse will do
if the poll speed is too high: rubber banding and cursor dances when it
finally catches up. It's usable, but sub-optimal.  For now, I'm sticking
with USB for usability but am around to try things on the BT side.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  Can't connect Bluetooth devices after reboot - Ubuntu 20.10 on
  Raspberry Pi 4

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in linux-raspi package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in pi-bluetooth package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in bluez source package in Groovy:
  Incomplete
Status in linux-raspi source package in Groovy:
  Incomplete
Status in pi-bluetooth source package in Groovy:

  Raspberry pi 4 4Gb ram
  Ubuntu desktop 20.10 64 bit
  After reboot no Bluetooth devices connect, scanning Bluetooth devices works,
results with same device name (duplicated and with not set up status).
  Sometimes after several reboots it works.
  If I use power off and cycle power then it works fine each time.