E2fsprogs has its build dependency set to libfuse-dev for a reason.
The Fuse upstream has minimal instructions on how to do the fuse->fuse3
conversion, and the e2fsprogs upstream (me) doesn't have the time
currently to try to figure it out, and Debian is supplying both fuse and
fuse3 so the debian e2fsprogs maintainer (me) also doesn't have much
motivation to switch to Fuse3 either, as I have many other fires burning
on my plate.

Patches so e2fsprogs can auto-detect the presence of the fuse3 header
files and libraries in the autoconf file, and then adding the
appropriate #ifdef's so that fuse2fs can work with either Fuse2 or Fuse3
would be gratefully accepted.   :-)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  e2fsprogs FTBFS when built with libfuse3-dev

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Fuse3 is a requirement for qemu 6 (LP: #1934510).  Since we don't want
  to support two versions of fuse in main, we'd like reverse-
  dependencies of fuse to switch to fuse3.

  e2fsprogs FTBFS in a test rebuild changing the build-dependency on
  libfuse-dev to libfuse3-dev.

  Excerpt from the build log:

  checking for fuse.h... no