I also tried the 5.16 from Liquorix kernel, and that didn't help

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.91.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.0-14.2-liquorix-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7 CPU M 640 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: llvmpipe

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Kubuntu constantly freezing on ThinkPad T510

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:

  This happens either during SDDM, or on the desktop, but Kubuntu's
  constantly freezing up.

  I tried disabling the compositor, but it doesn't seem to help.  Also,
  I removed the external monitor, but that doesn't seem to help.

  I've installed Lubuntu, and so far it's been fine. However, when I
  tried to change the SDDM theme via KDE's System Settings, the laptop
  locked up.

  I'll keep Kubuntu on it for now, but I'm gonna have to switch this to
  Lubuntu in the meantime.

  Specs:
  * Core i7-640M
  * 8GB RAM

  Package: kubuntu-desktop 1.416
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu76
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  Date: Wed Feb  9 05:58:18 2022
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20200731)
  SourcePackage: kubuntu-meta
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-02-09 (0 days ago)