After additional investigation our udev rule is installed in the initramfs and
with patch
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/+source/systemd/commit/?id=00f86f0b20f794f30aabe7181912d2ec2207e292
 the associated systemd service is never started when the OS starts.
We have created an initramfs hook script to remove our udev rule and now our
custom systemd service is starting properly when the OS starts.

Is this a side effect of above patch or is it something expected ?

  Start of systemd service on physical network devices using a udev rule
  has stopped working

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Hi everyone,

  We have an issue with latest version of systemd on Ubuntu 22.04
  (249.11-0ubuntu3.12).

  We have a udev rule running a service (custom wpa supplicant) on physical
wired network devices that is not working during boot process anymore.
  The same rule works fine with a usb dongle when I unplug it and plug it back
after the machine has started.

  ```
  ACTION=="add|move", SUBSYSTEM=="net", TAG+="systemd", ENV{DEVTYPE}!="wlan",
DEVPATH!="/devices/virtual/*",\
    ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="supplicant-wired@$name.service"
  ```

  A colleague has rebuilt systemd package by reverting below patch and
  everything started working again:

  core/device: ignore DEVICE_FOUND_UDEV bit on switching root (LP: #2037281)
      File:
debian/patches/lp2037281-core-device-ignore-DEVICE_FOUND_UDEV-bit-on-switching-roo.patch

https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/+source/systemd/commit/?id=00f86f0b20f794f30aabe7181912d2ec2207e292

  This is causing us an issue to access network when the machine is
  starting.

  Does above patch requires a change in the udev rule we are using ?

  Thanks in advance for your help.