** Description changed:

  Problem description

  I have a client (A) and a freight server (B) serving apt packages on the
  same network. I also have a proxy server (C), which the client uses to
  talk to "the internet". When I run `sudo apt update`, my client talks to
  the freight server directly, without contacting the proxy. However, when
  `apt.daily` runs, the client contacts the proxy, which then connects to
  the freight server.

  Expected behavior

  Although updates work in both cases, the current behavior is
  inconsistent. The proxy should be used in both cases or in neither case.

  Setup details

  I use Ubuntu 22.04.4 with apt 2.4.11 (amd64).
  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freight.list contains the local freight server.
  /etc/apt/sources.list lists the official Ubuntu repositories.
  /etc/apt/apt.config.d/95proxy contains one line `Acquire::http::proxy
- "http://my.proxy:8080/"`. Removing this line lets `apt.daily` contact
- the freight server directly but updating the official repositories
- fails. Leaving the line in, lets `apt.daily` succeed but with the
- described inconsistent behavior.
+ "http://my.proxy:8080/"`. Omitting the proxy config
+ (`Acquire::http::proxy "false"`) lets the client contact the freight
+ server directly during `apt.daily`, but updating the official
+ repositories fails. Having the proxy properly configured,`apt.daily`
+ succeeds but with the described inconsistent behavior.

  Note: I am aware that proxy exceptions can be configured using the
  "DIRECT" keyword.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Acquire::http::proxy ignored / used inconsistently?

Status in apt package in Ubuntu: