The reason for the crash is that ntp uses an outdated OpenSSL API to use MD5
despite it normally being blocked in FIPS mode. This particular API has been
deprecated with OpenSSL 3 which we ship in Jammy.
This could be mitigated by switching to a newer OpenSSL API, but ntp also seems
to be on life support, is only available via Universe and was removed for 24.04.

I would recommend switching to another ntp implementation such as chrony
which is in main.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ntp in Ubuntu.

  package ntp Jammy 1:4.2.8p15+dfsg-1ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade:
  installed ntp package post-installation script subprocess returned
  error exit status 1

Status in ntp package in Ubuntu:

  ntp postinstall attempts to perform a MD5 sum, which is a no-no with FIPS.
  I have not encountered this bug on previous LTS versions of Ubuntu with FIPS.

  Release:       22.04

  ntp:
    Installed: 1:4.2.8p15+dfsg-1ubuntu2
    Candidate: 1:4.2.8p15+dfsg-1ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 1:4.2.8p15+dfsg-1ubuntu2 500
          500 file:/home...
          100 /var/libdpkg/status

  [Actions performed]
  I attempted to install ntp onto jammy 22.04.4 LTS with FIPS.
  $ sudo pro attach key-goes-here
  $ sudo pro enable fips-updates
  $ reboot
  --after reboot--
  $ sudo apt update
  $ sudo apt install ntp

  [What you expected to happen]
  ntp tool installs prior to personal configuration, does not report anything
in red

  [What happened instead]
  Job for ntp.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
  [...]
  Feb 21 15:53:32 user ntpd[35638]: MD5 init failed
  Feb 21 15:53:32 user ntpd[35632]: daemon child exited with code 1
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release
amd64+intel-iot (20230316.2)
  NtpStatus: ntpq: read: Connection refused
  Package: ntp 1:4.2.8p15+dfsg-1ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcCmdline: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-97-fips
root=UUID=f8b9334a-bf79-4a19-8e05-461a4c1a2e4c ro quiet splash fips=1
vt.handoff=7
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.15.0-97.107+fips1-fips 5.15.136
  Tags: wayland-session jammy third-party-packages
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-97-fips x86_64
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True