Public bug reported:

the openssh-server 1:9.6p1-3ubuntu11 postinst contains this code
snippet:

if [ "$action" == configure ]; then
  ..snip..
  if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt-nl 1:9.6p1-3ubuntu3~; then
    ..snip..
    if [ -d /run/systemd/system ]; then
      # Make sure ssh.service is disabled.
      systemctl unmask ssh.service
      systemctl disable --now ssh.service > /dev/null 2>&1

      # sshd-socket-generator is invoked on daemon-reload.
      systemctl daemon-reload
      systemctl enable ssh.socket
    fi
  fi
fi

This does not respect existing service and socket unit configuration, it
effectively re-enables a disabled ssh.service (and even a masked one),
and a manually disabled socket unit. I strongly suspect it does not
respect systemd presets either.

This is unexpected behaviour.

** Affects: openssh (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  on upgrade sshd-socket-generator conversion does not respect
  administrator intent

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu: