** Tags added: block-proposed block-proposed-noble

** Tags removed: block-proposed-noble

** Description changed:

+ ⚠️ Only land this in the release pocket after PPAs have been resigned
+
  (This bumps the apt version to 2.8.0. APT uses the odd/even number
  system, with 2.7.x being the development series for 2.8, and this is the
  only change left for the 2.8 release, safe for some minor
  translation/test suite improvements)

  (This will be uploaded after the beta and may be released before noble
  release, as a zero day SRU or within the weeks following the release)

  [Impact]
  APT is currently just warning about keys that it should be rejecting to give
Launchpad time to resign PPAs. This needs to be bumped to an error such that
the crypto policy is fully implemented and we only trust keys that are still
being trusted. #2055193

  A warning provides some help right now to third-parties to fix their
  repositories, but it's not *safe*: A repository could have multiple
  signing keys and be signed by a good key now, then later, a previous key
  still in trusted.gpg.d could be revoked and we'd degrade to warnings,
  which, given that we update in the background automatically, the user
  may not see.

  Other fixes:
  - The test suite has been made less flaky in two places
  - Documentation translation has been unfuzzied for URL changes in 2.7.14

  [Test plan]
  The vast regression test suite prevents regression in other components.
Additional tests are:

  1. (promotion to error) Take a repository that has a weak key warning,
upgrade apt and check that it is an error
  2. (still valid) Check that the main Ubuntu repositories and/or resigned PPAs
work correctly.

  We don't have any tests for the test changes or the documentation
  translation URL unfuzzying.

  [Where problems could occur]
  apt will start to fail updates of repositories with weak signing keys, but it
will have warned users about that before. Given that it is still early in the
cycle, and we only enable updates for 24.04.1, this seems the right tradeoff
for future security.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  APT 2.8.0: Promote weak key warnings to errors

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in apt source package in Noble: