This question came to my mind while I was discussing my "Free Clarendon campaign with someone else. When I claimed that fonts are software, because they are a program designed to draw the outlines, he countered with a powerful point.

If a font is a program created to draw outlines, and therefore is a software program that must be free, then what differentiates a font file from a .ogg audio file, or a .jpg image? Would they not be software, too? At first I scoffed, but it really got me thinking.

A font file (.ttf or .otf) is a set of numbers that describe outlines. The system's font-rendering program reads those numbers, draws the outlines accordingly, and creates a rasterized version of the outlines. That rasterized image is then displayed to the screen.

At no point in that process are the fonts executed. Fonts aren't even executable! Why, then, are they considered software? Why are they not considered an aggregate of vector images?