While the GNU GPL does not tell anything about privacy and protection from unauthorized supervision, it doesn't mean everything is done by releasing software under the GNU GPL. There are many more things wrong in the world besides non-free software. The fact that special services can track all of our communications and basically control our computing through some backdoors is bad. On a different level than having a piece of software under a non-free license, but it is still an important issue, just a different one.

I don't say any distribution of GNU/Linux should include the best measures for privacy and anonimous internet access (as far this one is even possible). A GNU/Linux distribution is free to invent any type of nieche for itself, a distro for sys admins, a distro for music makers, one for people with very old hardware, etc.

Things like Tor and PGP, OTR Messaging are not the way one should fight the privacy problems nowadays. "There ought to be a law...". Citizens should not be under suspission in the first place. But as long as they all are, using special methods for obscuring ones messages and identity on the Internet is a legit way of protesting against the crazyness.