Selfish reasons for us and I'm not so sure about the pooling is required,
but really the JNDI datasource support.  We will be using Sybase in ASE in a
High Availability mode.  JConnect, the jdbc drivers, support the JDBC2.0
extensions and provide a connection pooling implementation.  When
datasources are defined in JNDI/LDAP and you use the their implementation,
connections may auto-failover to the another server.

http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-jc/jcg0520e/prjdbc/@Generic__
BookTextView/3004;pt=2969/*#X

One other feature is to define datasources within a directory service with
connection parameters.  Much like the section in TR.properties, but may be
used by other software not necessarily utilizing peers/turbine yet.  And in
our situation, the Systems/DB group could define these and our programmers
wouldn't necessarily know what physical server to attach to.  Its a small
thing really.

http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-jc/jcg0520e/prjdbc/@Generic__
BookTextView/1837;pt=1837#X

All the JDBC2.0 features Jconnect implements:
http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-jc/jcg0520e/prjdbc/@Generic__
BookTextView/5379;pt=5427#X

I basically see this change as pluggable connection pooling.  If your jdbc
driver provides an implementation ( or there is a specific feature of
another pool you'd like to use ), turbine/peers could use it.  If not, use
turbine's default implementation, working with all jdbc drivers.  Really
decoupling the connection pooling from turbine/peers and making it
pluggable, albeit by supporting sun's defined JDBC2.0 extension interfaces.

I agree that not breaking existing applications/code ( via deprecation for a
while ) is required.  I'm not so keen on Sun defining all our "so called
standards" either.  I'm on the fence, but would like the fail over support
provided by JConnect in our case.