Yes, it is important and has been discussed on the list.  Jon spent some
time reorganizing the services to remove our extensive use of the faulty
technique from at least the base service framework.  It has not been
completely erased from the codebase, however, and I encourage people to
fix it in any code they come across.  Their are some workarounds that do
not degrade performance so much such as making use of static
initialization, but if it is not possible, methods must be synchronized.

John McNally