Hi,
I do see a problem.
The script is fine, the problem lies else where.

Your script is trying to write log.bak to log, it
should b other way round.

i.e....
srcfile = open('/var/log/httpd-access.log', 'r')
dstfile = open('/var/log/httpd-access.log.bak', 'w')

hope that fixes it.

About the efficiency, why do u need python at all...
How abt a simple shell command....
       cat httpd-access.log>>log.bak

Shitiz