Hi all,

The Gobuntu development team would like to announce that after 8.04
release of Gobuntu, the project will aim to merge many of the Gobuntu
changes into mainline Ubuntu, such as our "Free Software Only" installer
option which only installs software considered free by the Free Software
Foundation's definition of software freedom. This installer option now
obviates the need for a separate derivative project, and in the interest
of reducing the workload of Ubuntu core developers, the Gobuntu project
will instead focus on merging as many changes as possible into mainline
Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu community and Canonical remain deeply committed to driving
the development and adoption of free software. Thus, we will work with
interested downstream projects (e.g. gNewsense) to ensure that we make
their development efforts as easy and streamlined as practically
possible. The Ubuntu project has encouraged a culture of working with
and producing derivative distributions, and we will be discussing how we
may best serve the needs of these projects with the project leaders in
the coming weeks.

As always, the primary focus of the Ubuntu community, Canonical, and our
derivative and downstream projects remains the success of free, Open
Source software. We hope that by providing every Ubuntu user with the
ability to install a completely free system using the standard Ubuntu
installer we will move closer to a world of freedom, choice, and
personal liberty with the hardware you own.

        Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager