On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 11:15:40AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> One way to leverage these volunteers is to deputise them and have them
> participate in the activities as a shadow member.
>
> That way you have the opportunity to train these people and share the load
> across more individuals.

I think this is a good idea and is related to a thought I'd had which
gives me a good opportunity to share.

When, on occasion, we've had to say no to a candidate, I see that as a
failure on the part of the DMB. Ideally, by the time someone has
applied, they're already ready. If it turns out that they're not, then
we've misled them into thinking they were ready, and that's on us to
fix. What can we do to adjust the process to prevent that happening next
time?

What if we were to change the process so that every applicant is given a
nominated person to review their current status and make a
recommendation prior to allocating themselves a regular application
meeting? I had thought that maybe DMB members could volunteer for this
role, but Onno's point above is a good one and really any qualified
Ubuntu developer (who presumably already has the permission being
applied for) could also volunteer.

It would still be the DMB making the final decision in the usual way.
And the volunteer would only be making a recommendation; nothing would
stop the applicant from proceeding with an application meeting anyway,
and they could even decline having this type of mentor if they really
want (perhaps they are already talking to someone less formally or
simply don't like this approach).

But this way we might be able to get appropriate course correction much
earlier, should that be necessary.

In a way, endorsements might exactly be such written recommendations;
the problem tends to occur when an applicant struggles to get someone to
look at their application as a whole; for example if they aren't well
connected to other Ubuntu developers, or if each existing sponsor has
only seen a subset of their work, and so is only providing a partial
endorsement. So maybe an explicit, nominated person who will look at the
big picture perspective would help.

Another issue might be volunteers who push their nominated applicants
harder than what the DMB requires (bad for the applicant; might put them
off) or not hard enough (which would then fail to address my problem
statement). This might therefore need careful calibration and oversight
to mitigate.

Thoughts?

Robie